Chapter 1: Into the Unknown

 


Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Stardust. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Nexus Station

Nexus Station is a deep space settlement located on the edge of the Onyx Cluster. It's a bustling hub of commerce, technology, and culture. The station is built around a massive central hub that serves as the hub of the station's transportation network, connecting the various districts and facilities.

The station's primary industry is shipbuilding and repair, with numerous shipyards and facilities dedicated to this purpose. The station also serves as a hub for trade, with merchants and traders coming from all over the galaxy to do business.

One of the most prominent features of Nexus Station is its advanced technology. The station is home to some of the most advanced research and development facilities in the galaxy and is home to many brilliant scientists and engineers. The station is also home to a large number of AIs, who play a vital role in the station's operation and administration.

Nexus Station is protected by a powerful defensive grid and a large contingent of security personnel, to ensure the safety of its inhabitants and the security of its assets. Despite this, the station is not immune to the dangers of the Onyx Cluster, and its inhabitants must always be vigilant against the various threats that lurk in the depths of space.

Nexus Station is a sprawling, multi-level deep space settlement located in the heart of the Onyx Cluster. The station is built around a massive central hub, with various levels and sections branching out in all directions. The hub is home to the station's main market, where traders and merchants from all over the Onyx Cluster come to sell their wares. The market is bustling and noisy, with vendors hawking everything from high-tech equipment to exotic foods and spices.

The upper levels of the station are home to the station's residential areas, where the station's permanent inhabitants live. The living quarters are cramped and utilitarian, but they are clean and well-maintained. The station's inhabitants are a diverse group of people, united by their love of adventure and their desire to explore the unknown.

The lower levels of the station are home to the station's industrial section, where goods are manufactured and repaired. The industrial section is a noisy and chaotic place, filled with the sounds of machinery and the smells of oil and metal. The station's engineers and technicians work tirelessly to keep the station running, and they are always on the lookout for new and better ways to improve the station's capabilities.

Nexus Station is also home to a number of research and development facilities, where scientists and researchers study the mysteries of the Onyx Cluster. The station's labs are filled with high-tech equipment and cutting-edge technology, and the scientists and researchers who work there are always pushing the boundaries of what is possible.

The station is also home to a diverse population, with people from all over the galaxy living and working here. The station's population includes humans, as well as many other alien races, each with its own unique culture and customs.

As the campaign starts, Abigail Snow's starship, Stardust, is docked at Nexus Station. The station serves as her home base and the hub of her exploratory missions into the Onyx Cluster and beyond.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Abigail Snow, Callsign Locket, sat in her cockpit aboard her starship, Stardust, she received a transmission from her fellow explorer, Mave Winter, Callsign Farseer.

"Abby, are you there?" Mave's voice crackled over the comms.

"I'm here, Mave," Abigail replied. "What's up?"

"I've got something big for you," Mave said excitedly. "I've been scanning the Onyx Cluster and I've picked up a strange energy source. It's unlike anything I've ever seen before."

Abigail's curiosity was piqued. "What kind of energy source?"

"I don't know for sure, but it's powerful. And it's in an uncharted sector," Mave continued. "I think it could be a valuable discovery for the industry of Nexus Station and the surrounding settlements. But I need your help to locate and investigate it."

Abigail leaned forward in her seat, a sense of adventure stirring within her. "I'm in. What do you need me to do?"

"I've sent you the coordinates of the energy source. It's in a dangerous sector, and the journey will be perilous. But if we can find it, it could bring the Onyx Cluster to abundance and prosperity," Mave explained.

Abigail knew that this was an opportunity she couldn't pass up. She was an Ironsworn, sworn to undertake perilous quests and explore the unknown. She replied confidently "I'll do my best to find it, Mave. And I'll persevere to uncover the truth about this energy source."

[Swear an iron vow +heart: I will find and bring back this strange energy source to Nexus Station if possible. (Dangerous Vow) 5+3=8 vs 7/1 Strong Hit. +2 momentum (4) You are emboldened and it is clear what you must do next]

"I knew I could count on you, Abby," Mave said. "I'll be here to support you in any way I can."

"Thanks, Mave, I'll contact you when I have something. Abby out."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Undertake an expedition +wits: 5+3=8 vs 7/8 2 rerolled the 8 due to Sensor array. Strong Hit. Mark progress (2 boxes)]

 As I exited the drift, my sensors found a Binary star system close by. The two stars, one a yellow giant and the other a red dwarf, orbited each other closely, creating a stunning visual spectacle. As I approached, I noticed a lush jungle world orbiting the stars. Scans show that the planet is teeming with life, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of awe as I flew closer.

[Explore a waypoint +wits. 5+3=8 vs 7/2 Strong Hit+2 momentum, +1 momentum due to explorer (7 momentum)]

As I made my way closer to the planet, scans an outpost on the surface. The settlement appeared to be abandoned, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of curiosity. I marked the coordinates in the computer so that I could come back to this after my job I promised Mave. 

[Undertake an expedition +wits: 1+3=4 vs 1/3 Strong Hit Mark Progress (4 boxes)]

I came out of the drift and started recharging the E-drive. Sensors started beeping due to some unusual readings. I decided to change course and investigate. After about an hour I came upon a massive debris field. At first, I assumed it was just a cluster of mineral asteroids but as I got closer I realized it was something else entirely, the asteroids were frozen.

[Gather information +wits: 6+3=9 vs 7/6 strong hit +2 momentum (9)]

Scans showed that the "asteroids" were composed of crystalline structures, unlike anything I'd ever seen before.  As I got closer to the field I noticed creatures amongst the asteroids. It wasn't a debris field but a boneyard of the remains of some long-dead species. 

I spent the next few hours making detailed scans of the creatures and taking samples. 

[Explore a waypoint +wits: 3+3=6 vs 3/3 Strong hit w/match. 2 ticks on discovery track +1 momentum explorer (10)]

As I was about to leave, my scans showed a strange energy signature coming from the center of the boneyard. I pulled Stardust closer and came across a large rogue asteroid emitting strange energy. 

I did a detailed scan of the asteroid and noticed it was covered with an ancient alien script. I had never seen it before in my travels and finished my scans of the strange alien language before heading out. 

I logged the coordinates into the computer and hope to uncover the secrets to this alien language and strange energy signature.

[Undertake an expedition +wits: 1+3=4 vs 4/7 6 (sensor array) miss.]

When the Stardust exited the drift, automatic scans showed a Large rogue asteroid covered with a thick layer of metallic wreckage in the middle of an asteroid field. Most likely from a long-ago ship collision. I decided to scan the debris to see if I could get any information from it when I detected a distress signal coming from deeper within the asteroid field. 

I made my way toward the distress signal and the asteroid field became much more chaotic and turbulent than I thought.

[Face Danger +wits: 2+3=5 vs 4/1 Strong Hit +1 momentum (10 already)]

With some quick adjustments to my thrusters and some luck I was able to avoid any major damage to the Stardust, some minor asteroids hit the ship but caused no damage.

As I got closer to the distress signal a sudden and intense meteoroid storm appeared, bombarding my ship.

[Withstand damage -1 (4 integrity) 1+4=5 vs 7/5 Miss. It's worse than I thought -1 more integrity (3)]

The Klaxon blared as small punctures appeared in my hull. The asteroids did some significant damage to the Stardust but I was able to finally get through the storm and came upon a multipurpose ship that crashed into a large asteroid. 

[Ask the oracle: Are there any life signs onboard the ship? Likely. 07 Yes.]

[Gather Information +wits: 3+3=6 vs 4/1 Strong Hit. +2 momentum, already maxed]

I did a quick scan of the ship and found multiple life signs. I tried hailing them on the comms but got no answer.

[End of session: What will Abby find on the crashed ship? Health 5, Spirit 5, Supply 5, Ship Integrity 3, Progress on finding the Energy Source 4 boxes]



Comments